Friday, December 9, 2011

Dreams, Goals, and Aspirations vs Economic Feasibility and the Opinions of Others

As we grow older our dreams, our motives, and our aspirations evolve into our goals that we so eagerly try to achieve. Whether an individual dreams about being a Doctor, Lawyer, Astronaut, Business Executive, or dreams of something else, every individual has a dream that they’d like to achieve. For the longest time now I’ve been weighing what is most important to me with what is economically feasible in the current economy. With the way that the economy is now a day in order for a family to survive both parents are required to work. Now I’ve worked a 9-5 job and I currently work a nonstop Monday through Friday job and neither are paths I want to take when Eugene and I eventually start a family. Maybe when our future children are older I’d consider a 9-5 job again, but while they’re young it is important to me to be able to be at home with them. That is my dream.

Being a stay at home mom is what I dream of being. I dream of not missing my children meet their milestones. I dream of being there so I don’t miss a single thing. I dream of being the one that is there to comfort them when they’re sad, hug and kiss them when they’re hurt, and to encourage them.   I dream of being the “Class Mom” when they are in school, like my mother was when I was in school. I dream about being able to take them to playdates during the day. I dream about being able to participate in “Mommy and Me” classes. I dream about being at home during the day to have pretend tea parties, bake cookies, build with building blocks, ect. I dream about being the one who is down on the floor playing with them. I dream about being part of the PTA. I dream about being the one who is there to encourage a love of learning. I dream about never missing a school function because I had to work. I dream about being at all their recitals and practices. These are dreams that I can’t and won’t give up. These are dreams that I’d regret and not be happy giving up, therefore I will not give them up.

Now, there are individuals who will tell me (and that have told me) that by being a stay at home mom I’m not living up to my full potential and that it’s sad to see my brain go to waste and that it’s sad for someone as smart as I am to waste my brain. I do not feel that being a stay at home mom means that an individual is not living up to their full potential. If I’m living my dream all the while working from home, how is that not living up to my full potential?

I’ve always known that being a wife and mother is what is most important to me. It is honestly the only thing I want out of life. I’ve switches majors from being in Nursing School to being Pre-med, from being Pre-med to Psychology, and from Psychology to Finance. Before I changed my major to finance no other field really offered me the possibility that I might be able to work from home. With a degree in finance there are many options that will help me achieve my dream. One example being, I could do financial consulting from home. Even if I didn’t do financial consulting there is something else that I would like to start doing from home. I would eventually like to run my own “mommy and me” business as a Maternity Concierge offering lactation consultant, doula, and baby and family planning services. I’ve also recently begun to consider opening a shop on Etsy. I’m in the beginning stages of researching this option.

Eugene and I will be getting married August 11th, 2012 and I am seriously exploring and researching options that will allow me to start working from home soon and that will provide me with close to the same income, if not more, than what I am making now. If I have to work two jobs from home in order for me to achieve my dream, then that’s what I’ll do. I’m going to do whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment