Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Making Dreams Come True- It’s Not Always a Straight and Easy Road, There Will be Curves and Bumps along the Way

In an earlier Blog Entry,  Dreams, Goals, and Aspirations vs Economic Feasibility and the Opinions of Others, I talked about how I dream of being a stay at home mom someday, who happens to work from home. Well, that dream just isn’t going to be handed to me. It’s something that I’m going to have to work hard to make a reality. With this in mind, I jumped right into researching work from home opportunities that would not only allow me to work from home, but also allow me to replace my current income. Initially, I was hoping to get something started from home before March 2012. While doing research, I found a few freelance writing jobs that I was interested in. I created a resume and a sample writing piece and applied for one of them, only to be turned down for a position. What was their reasoning? “It’s a competitive market, and there are more people applying for freelance jobs than there are jobs.” Thinking back on it, even though I have expertise in the area I was applying to write for, I do not have any professional freelance writing experience. Sure, I was disappointed and to be honest, a little discouraged when I got the rejection e-mail. I saw the job opportunity as a way to make my dream a reality, so naturally when I did not get the job I saw my dream going up in smoke, not being able to be made into reality in the timeframe I’d like. This put me in a funk for two days. The day I got the reject letter, I ended up crying myself to sleep and the day after I felt depressed. I started reading the blogs of other women for inspiration and looking up quotes that would inspire me again, and this is what brought me out of the funk that I was in. I realized that if other women could do it, then so could I. I realized that overcoming this bump in the road, on the way to making my dream a reality, is a necessary step towards reaching my dream at the end of the road.

With these realizations in mind, I’m determined to revamp my resume and write an even better sample writing piece and reapply for the writing job, the one that brought on the discouragement t that I’ve felt for the last couple of days. Therefore, over my Christmas break from my current job I will be writing a piece to submit when I apply again. I’m not going to take “No” for an answer; I know that I’m a good enough writer to be offered a freelance position with this particular company.

In addition, for over a year and a half now I’ve been talking about launching a Maternity Concierge (Baby Planning) consulting business. Working with mothers and their infants is where my heart is; it’s what I love to do. It is what I’m passionate about. With the wedding almost only seven months away and talk of starting a family soon, I decided now was a better time than ever to get the business launched, so that by the time Eugene and I are ready to start the family we’ve been talking about, I’m on the path to living my dream of working from home and running my own business. Eugene and I have come up with a name for the company and sometime in January, most likely sometime during my week long vacation; we will be going to get the name trademarked. We have also begun to look into getting a website for my business designed. Eugene created the logo for my business, which I absolutely love. I’m taking the steps needed to get this business up and ready to be launched. I’m shooting to have the business launched by Fall 2012 at the latest.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting your own consulting firm, I love how you have such a positive attitude and keep pushing forward :) I'm a new follower from BloggyMoms and look fwd to your future posts.
    Cheers,
    Tess
    inlovebythebeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tess- Thank you! I’m still in the process of launching my business, but I’m hoping to have it launched very soon. I believe that those who have a positive attitude and continue to push forward attract positive things to their lives. So I try to stay positive. Thanks for following my blog, I’m following your blog too.

    With Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete