Saturday, December 24, 2011

Things Change When You Look at the Big Picture

For a while now, I have not been able to get motivated to do any wedding planning. For weeks I’ve been thinking that we could have planned things differently, not so extravagant and over the top pricewise. The way we had things planned, our wedding was running around $27,000 with almost seven months still left to go until the wedding. This was a fact that I was not very happy with, especially because that money could be used for other things. I mean, our wedding is ONE day!  Yes, our wedding day is going to be a very important, special, and memorable day for us, but it would be that way no matter what because our wedding day is about us; it is not about pleasing anyone else. I would be happy just having a small ceremony with our immediate family there.

After looking at the big picture, taking into account the things that Eugene and I both want after we’re married, spending that kind of money for only eight hours of a day just seemed ridiculous to us. We don’t want to start our marriage off in debt; we don’t want to start a family in debt and we plan on starting a family soon after we get married. We could put some of the money away in order for us to make a down payment on a house or some of that money could be used for us to go on a week-long vacation when Eugene has two weeks off of work in September. Don’t get me wrong, the wedding is still going to cost a lot, but we’re at a price now that I’m comfortable with and choosing to go a smaller, more intimate route has made me happier and has motivated me to get back into getting planning done. By going a smaller route, we had to change the reception venue and cut down the guest list. Our original reception site was chosen fast and without thought, because the place I had my heart set on having the ceremony and reception fell through and we just picked another location. I’m glad the first place I had my heart set on fell through, otherwise I would not have come across Heavenly Scents Herb Farm, which I love and is absolutely beautiful for our ceremony! Our new reception site is Lucky’s, Eugene and I’s favorite restaurant, in their Banquet room. Eugene and I eat at Lucky’s every chance we get. Now, this is a reception site that has meaning and is special to us. Lucky’s is going to be a great place for us to have our reception because not only is the food AMAZING, but we are still able to have a DJ and everything. In addition to that, Lucky’s is right next to a hotel for our out-of-town guest.

You may be wondering why I’m happy about cutting down the guest list, well… This way our wedding is more intimate, with just family and a few friends. I would like to cut the list down to 60-70 people, since I have a big family we cannot do any less than that. I don’t want people that Eugene and I do not know there. I don’t want people there who are going to sit at the tables saying things like, “I bet they don’t even last a year,” when we’ve already been together for almost six years, since I was fifteen years old. To be completely honest, I only want people there who actually care about Eugene and I. I believe that this is how a wedding should be; it should not be about inviting EVERYONE you know just so that you’ll get a gift. A wedding should be about celebrating a joyous occasion with those that are closest to you.

As for the menu, Eugene and I have not discussed that yet seeing as how we just changed venues a few days ago. I’ve looked over the menu and have decided to have Prime Rib as one of the options for guest to choose from. I believe we get three options and each option comes with a salad, a starch, and a vegetable. I believe in addition to Prime Rib we may choose a chicken dish. All I know for sure at the current time is that I do not want to have fish at the wedding. I’m not a fish fan at all.

There are other wedding details that have changed too. Now, instead of doing a dinner for the rehearsal, we are having a rehearsal brunch before the actual rehearsal. I’m thinking the brunch will be from 12-3pm and then straight from there we’ll go to the ceremony site for the rehearsal, which is still at 4pm on Thursday August 9th.

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm a new follower via bloggy moms! I'm so happy to have found a great new mommy blog to follow :) Please come follow me back at http://www.yummymummykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is bravo on making the decision! I know for me it would have been hard. But you are right, it wouldn't be good to start off in debt! My hubby and I got married in 2005 and we had the cheapest smallest wedding possible (and yes Vegas was the venue) but we didn't have the money and wouldn't have it for years. We both agreed that someday we would have a bigger wedding with the cake and flowers and such but that wasn't what was truly important to us. I wish you the best of luck on your big day!! And from now until then try not to stress =)

    With Love
    Ashley B.

    Oh! And I found your blog on bloggymoms! =D

    http://ashleybcrochets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marina- Thank you for following my blog! I am following you too! I’m excited to start reading your blog. When I follow a blog I like to start from the first post and read my way through the blog, so if you don’t see a comment from me for a while it just means that I haven’t finished reading your blog yet, I will comment when I do.

    Ashley- Thank you! We actually talked about having a small Vegas wedding at first, with just us and our families and bridal party members… That plan quickly changed because I didn’t feel right about my bridal party members paying to stay in Vegas. I’m trying not to stress too much, but I feel like with me working 24/7 Monday-Friday that I’m behind on wedding planning.

    I went to add you to the list of blogs I’m following and I noticed that I’m already following you. I must have found your blog over at TMC. It might take me awhile to get a comment posted on your blog, because I like to start a blog from the beginning and work my way to the most recent post, but I will comment soon!

    With Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest daughter just got married in Sept....good luck! I am a new follower from bloggy moms..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Momto8- Congratulations on your oldest daughter getting married! I know what it's like being the oldest and getting married. lol. I’m the oldest great-grandchild, grandchild, and child… Thanks for following my blog! I’m following you too!

    With Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I'm here from Bloggy Moms. This post just made me smile. My husband and I had the same conversation three years ago when we were married. If we did everything everyone wanted our wedding would have been over $30,000. When all was said and done we looked at a bill of $8,956.00. Not everything you want has to cost an arm and a leg. Good luck and I will be following. ;)

    ReplyDelete